BIMcloud — Frequently Asked Questions
BIMcloud — Frequently Asked Questions
BIMcloud allows a BIM workflow on any network, hardware or software configuration, connecting teams and projects of any size or setup 24/7.
BIMcloud is a fully-fledged cloud-based collaboration solution that can be deployed in any public or private network environment.
Currently, only GRAPHISOFT products such as ARCHICAD and BIMx can be directly connected to BIMcloud. However full BIM projects can be aggregated and coordinated in BIMcloud using the IFC connection and the MEP Modeler functionality of ARCHICAD.
The GRAPHISOFT BIMcloud Solution consists of one central BIMcloud Manager, any number of BIMcloud Servers and any number of BIMcloud Clients (ARCHICAD, BIMx etc.) connected through the BIMcloud Manager. BIMcloud can be deployed on premise or in any private or public cloud platforms, and can be integrated with centrally managed company IT systems (e.g. “Active Directory”).
The BIMcloud Manager is the central component of the GRAPHISOFT BIMcloud Solutions that takes care of connecting all other components regardless of location (i.e. across the office, across town or around the world). BIMcloud Manager itself is free of BIM data. It contains only a single integrated list of all BIMcloud Servers, BIMcloud Projects and BIMcloud users with their defined roles and permissions.
The BIMcloud Servers store and serve the BIM projects for ARCHICAD, BIMx (and the future other) clients.
- BIM projects can be freely moved between BIMcloud Servers within the same BIMcloud.
- BIMcloud Server hardware can be freely altered without any interruption to the workflow of clients.
- BIM project data is exclusively stored and managed by the particular BIMcloud Server where the shared project is located.
The BIMcloud Clients can access and manipulate the BIM project data from the BIMcloud Servers through the BIMcloud Manager’s interface. BIMcloud Clients can be computers in the office, mobile computers or mobile devices (i.e. tablets or smartphones, etc.) in any location.
The GRAPHISOFT BIMcloud uses a multi-tiered licensing strategy to maximize value-added to customers:
- Perpetual license for Server components that scale with the amount of project data handled by the BIMcloud
- Time-based subscription licenses for Clients that scale with the team size and demand.
The illustration below shows the BIMcloud Solution components:
- BIMcloud Manager
- BIMcloud Servers
- BIMcloud Client Access Licenses
Server licenses are permanent licenses sold with mandatory Software Services Agreement (SSA). For more information about the licensing and pricing of the BIMcloud, please contact your certified BIMcloud solution provider.
No. Each different type of paid BIMcloud license (i.e. BIMcloud Manager, BIMcloud Server, CAL) requires a separate key.
Yes, BIMcloud can be deployed on both public as well as on private clouds. You can even install BIMcloud on any server computers kept in-house (on-premise).
All BIMcloud components use standard http/https protocols to enable safe, secure access and communication between and among users regardless of their location. Use of http/https standards also helps manage total cost of ownership and avoid additional network infrastructure without any additional hardware or software componenets to be purchased.
No. BIMcloud works on any standard HTTP/HTTPS network connection with or without VPN from any remote location as well. For more information about the BIMcloud’s network setup, please visit our Help Center where new articles dedicated to BIMcloud appear on a regular basis.
No. The BIMcloud is purpose built to tolerate virtually infinite levels fo network latency and therefore eliminate the need and expense of special hardware or software to maintain “real-time” connectivity.
BIMcloud will be rolled out in many markets where ARCHICAD is being sold. However it does not automatically ship in every single one at the same time — so please contact your local GRAPHISOFT provider to find out availability in your market.
The GRAPHISOFT BIMcloud is only available for commercial uses. For Education purposes please use the GRAPHISOFT BIM Server.
GRAPHISOFT’s BIM Server has been on the market since 2009 and is recognized as the world’s leading BIM collaboration solution. Its single-server architecture is an advantage (simplicity) as well as a limitation (lack of scalability). GRAPHISOFT’s brand new BIMcloud Solution provides the ideal solution for complex company/project requirements where scaling, data security and advanced team and project management are mission critical.
BIM Server projects can be migrated to the BIMcloud however they cannot be reverted back to BIM Server projects after the migration (the only way going from BIMcloud to BIM Server requires saving the model as a solo-project first).
Yes, BIM Server will remain a free product for ARCHICAD users. At the same time, starting with ARCHICAD 18 every BIM Server needs to be activated by GRAPHISOFT. This is a simple and free one-step process where BIM Server users need to authenticate themselves with their GRAPHISOFT ID (GS-ID).
The BIM Server support will be maintained by GRAPHISOFT in parallel with the BIMcloud. Yet if the number of your active projects or active users are pushing the limits of BIM Server, or your company maintains offices at different geographies requiring the setup of more BIMservers you wish to centrally manage, you may well benefit from BIMcloud’s scalability and features. Please take our survey to determine whether BIMcloud is meant for you here
Operating Systems for BIMcloud Manager, BIMcloud Server, BIMcloud Proxy
Recommended Operating Systems
- Windows 8.1 (64-bit version)
- Windows 8 (64-bit version)
- Windows 7 (64-bit version)
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2008 R2
- Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks
- Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
Notes on older systems
- Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 are not compatible (BIMcloud cannot be installed)
- Mac OS X 10.7 Lion is compatible but not tested by GRAPHISOFT
- Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard is not compatible (BIMcloud cannot be installed)
Hardware for BIMcloud Manager, BIMcloud Server, BIMcloud Proxy
- BIMcloud Manager: 64-bit processor
- BIMcloud Server and BIMcloud Proxy: 64-bit processor with four or more cores
- BIMcloud Manager: 4 GB
- BIMcloud Server and BIMcloud Proxy: 16 GB or more is recommended
Hard disk space:
- BIMcloud Manager: 5 GB free disk space is required for the installation
- BIMcloud Server: 5 GB free disk space is required for the installation, 10 GB or more is required per active project
- BIMcloud Proxy: 10 GB free disk space is required for the installation, 40 GB or more is required per active project
You can find more details about recommended hardware on Help Center.
- Processor: 64-bit processor with two cores
- RAM: 4 GB
- Hard disk space: 5 GB or more is required for the installation
Java 1.7 or later is required. You can find details here: http://www.graphisoft.com/Java
You will need a CodeMeter hardware key or CodeMeter Act software protection key to run the BIMcloud products.