Graphisoft ships ARCHICAD 5.0
Budapest, July 24, 1996
Graphisoft® released ARCHICAD® version 5.0 this month, marking a major milestone in the development of both ARCHICAD and CAD software for architects. As the practice of architecture evolves in the "Information Age," ARCHICAD 5.0 is an indispensable tool for architects to create, access, manage and communicate vital information about buildings. Available for both Macintosh® and Windows 95/NT operating systems, ARCHICAD 5.0 delivers dozens of new tools and enhanced features for faster, more efficient building design, visualization and documentation.
Among the many innovations and enhancements of ARCHICAD 5.0 are
- Editing in Section/Elevation: Select and edit objects in any section and elevation window; changes are instantly updated in the floor plan.
- Zone Tool: Recognizes and Quantifies building zones and rooms and organizes them in ARCHICAD's integrated bill of materials. The Zone Tool couples facilities management functionality with a 3D database and an easy to use interface.
- 3D Construction Tools: ARCHICAD 5.0 offers true curve - even spline shaped - walls, slabs and roofs with curved openings, a hip and vaulted roof tool for generating complex roofs, and a new column tool with multiple veneers which clean up automatically at wall intersections.
- Smarter GDL: enhancements to ARCHICAD's Geometric Description Language make ARCHICAD a more powerful modeler and a stronger tool for information access and management including database input/output, parametric properties, text (string) and Boolean variables, and calls to third-party plug-ins.
- Multiple libraries and browsers: Reference more than one object library simultaneously for better information management. ARCHICAD 5.0 also provides hooks to external browsing software such as Cumulusª.
- Drafting and Dimensioning: Splines and Bezier curves are added as well, a line editor for creating any type of custom line and numerous dimensioning enhancements including nominal and rough opening, radial, angular and cumulative dimensions.
- Navigation Tools: Navigating through building information is easier with the new Find & Select command, polygonal marquee, intelligent cursor enhancements and a context sensitive cursor.
- Rendering: ARCHICAD 5.0 adds texture mapping, animated Sun studies, Quickdraw 3D support (Mac only), and several improvements to speed up 3D.
- "Virtual reality": Use ARCHICAD 5.0 to create "Virtual reality" scenes directly within ARCHICAD (Mac only) using Apple® Computer's QuickTime® VR technology. ARCHICAD is the only software to create QuickTime VR scenes directly without additional software.
- Interface enhancements: ARCHICAD for Windows features MS Office-like icon bar and right mouse button support.
- Increased file compatibility: ARCHICAD's DWG import/export now supports Autocad release 13 and Lightscape Technologies' radiosity software.
- Mixed network support: Support for Windows and Macintosh platforms is enhanced by a new concurrent protection key allowing ARCHICAD to operate over a mixed network, binary file compatibility between the Windows and Macintosh versions, and support of plotting over a mixed Windows/Macintosh network.
- Plug-in architecture for third parties: A new SDK (Software Development Kit) supports third party developers who want to develop applications which can be launched from ARCHICAD's tool bar. ArchiSITE and StairMaker already support this new ARCHICAD feature: launch third party applications from ARCHICAD tool bar.
"This release demonstrates Graphisoft's commitment to its users and the profession," commented David Marlatt, AIA, President of Graphisoft U.S., Inc. "Almost all of its features are the direct result of user feedback, focus groups and looking closely at the challenges facing the architectural profession and the building industry as they learn to put computers to work for them."
Also upgraded with ARCHICAD are PlotMaker version 1.6 and StairMaker version 3.0, utility software which often accompanies ARCHICAD. Graphisoft also began shipping a new ARCHICAD compatible terrain modeler, ArchiSITE, to add landscaping and terrain modeling functionality to ARCHICAD 5.0. Most third party developers have announced ARCHICAD 5.0 savvy upgrades for their products in the next 1-3 months, but all current third party libraries and add-ons will work "as is" with ARCHICAD 5.0.
Winner of the 1996 Editors Choice Award from Computer Graphics World and 1995 Editors Choice Award from MacUser, ARCHICAD is one of the premiere CAD software applications for the architectural and building professions. Its unique object-oriented technology and seamless integration between 2D drafting and 3D modeling, make ARCHICAD the ideal all around tool for both small and large architectural offices and building professionals. Launched on Apple® Macintosh in 1985 and Microsoft® Windows in 1993, ARCHICAD developed consistently, incorporating all of the latest relevant technologies as they have become available, and selling to more than 25,000 architects worldwide. Today, ARCHICAD is distributed in more than 80 countries and 19 languages for Macintosh, Power Macintosh, Windows 95/NT operating systems.
Graphisoft, developer of ARCHICAD, was founded in 1982 in Budapest, Hungary. Today, Graphisoft is one of the premier developers of architectural CAD software and employs approximately 120 people in offices in Budapest, San Francisco, Munich, Tokyo and Hong Kong. A privately held company, Graphisoft reported 1995 worldwide sales of $15M with pre-tax profits of $4.5M.
For more information please contact: