Bradley Khouri, an architect, is the principal of b9 architects inc., located in Pioneer Square in Seattle, Washington. He received his Master of Architecture at Harvard University in 1996 and his Bachelor of Arts in Architecture at Washington University in 1992. The practice began in 2000; current work centers on single- and multi-family residences. In addition, b9 architects designs projects for commercial and graphic design clients, develops small infill speculative projects in Seattle, and exhibits their photography.
Brad teaches Architectural Design studios at the University of Washington in Seattle and is also working to develop large-scale inhabitable sculpture (architecture without program). Prior to establishing b9 architects, Brad worked at firms in New York, Boston, Minneapolis and San Francisco and co-taught a design studio at the Boston Architectural Center.
Technology in Practice: Volume - Rhythm - Green, An Innovative Practice
March 26, 2009 | Presenters: Bradley Khouri, Principal of b9 Architects
Bradley shared three of his projects that demonstrate a unique approach to urban development and a considerable commitment to green design. The projects were realized through thoughtful planning, collaborative client communication, limitless use of sustainable design practices and Graphisoft's ARCHICAD 12. This powerful combination of process and technology helped b9 Architects achieve a stunning quality of project design.
The webcast features three high design and low impact projects designed from conception to completion in ARCHICAD:
- Judkins Park House, a speculative project developed by Bradley Khouri, principal of b9 architects
- Urban Canyon, a 5-star BuiltGreen project featuring seven homes around a pedestrian canyon
- Urban Trees,(currently under construction) an 11 unit project, incorporating live-work dwellings with traditional townhomes around a woonerf
- Everything from massing to lighting studies was completed within a single BIM model allowing b9 to test, change and refine a variety of design ideas quickly and easily
- The model was used to collaborate with clients, builders and developers
- The model can be used to evaluate the spatial and light quality and relationships between structures and their various roof lines.
- The ARCHICAD model can be a great presentation and marketing tool. B9 was able to create marketing drawings by simply turning on and off the various layers of the design documentation and used multiple renderings modes to create and explain the design intent.