Read Me first for
GRAPHISOFT Grasshopper® - ARCHICAD Live Connection
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Translate simple geometry created in Rhino into BIM construction elements
- Bi-directional connection – no need to export/import file for data exchange
- Dynamic (live) connection while editing
- Direct and simultaneous graphical feedback from both Rhino and AC
This tool converts Rhino-Grasshopper design geometry directly into BIM construction elements. It operates through a live connection in which the visual algorithmic editing capabilities of Grasshopper are applied directly to predefined ARCHICAD (AC) construction elements, 2D-3D geometrical elements and selected parameters, with real-time updates at both ends.
What is Grasshopper?
Grasshopper (GH) is a node-based algorithm editor integrated with Rhino modelling tools. Algorithms are used to describe logical relationships between multiple design parameters that define the parametric model. Through algorithms, the user is able to establish a set of rules that define the sequence of operations, thus aiding the design process.
What is the purpose of the Grasshopper-ARCHICAD Live Connection tool?
The Grasshopper-ARCHICAD Live Connection offers a unique design workflow, helping to explore a large number of design variations, and create and fine-tune building details and structures using algorithms without exchanging files.
Key features and benefits
You can find more details in the User Guide which is accessible in PDF format at the download site of the Connection.
The system requirements correspond to those of ARCHICAD.
You can find detailed and always up-to-date system requirements on our website.
- The Connection is available for several versions of ARCHICAD. Make sure you download and use the installer for your version of ARCHICAD.
- Do not modify the default file path offered by the installer. The programs will recognize the add-ons only if they are installed to the default location provided.
- Please note that the Connection Add-On cannot be installed for more than one ARCHICAD versions at a time. You can install it either for ARCHICAD 21, ARCHICAD 20 or for 19. If one of them is already installed you will get the following message when trying to install one more:
- When Grasshopper – ARCHICAD Live Connection is installed on a computer it is only available for the user who installed it. Although the add-on appears on ARCHICAD’s side for other users as well, it is not available on Grasshopper’s side. So if you want to use Grasshopper – ARCHICAD Live Connection with a different user from the one who originally installed it, follow these steps:
- Log in with this second user account
- Start the installer
- Select Remove, thus delete the add-on
- Start the installer again. This way the add-on will be installed for this second user.
- Select Grasshopper-ARCHICAD Live Connection in Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Programs and Features and click Uninstall
- You can uninstall the connection tool by running the installer again. Double-click on the downloaded .MSI file. On the Welcome page of the installer wizard click on "Next" then select the option "Remove".
- Important: Rhino for Mac is currently at a “Work in Progress” stage of development. It does not yet contain all of the features available in Rhino for Windows. For details, see: https://www.rhino3d.com/mac-feature-compare.
- Note: ARCHICAD-Grasshopper Connection only works with the 64-bit version of Rhino 5.
- Applications:GRAPHISOFT:ARCHICAD 21:Add-Ons:Local:GrassHopperConnection
- Applications:GRAPHISOFT:ARCHICAD 21:Add-Ons:Local:ProductVersion.xml
- Library:Application Support:McNeel:Rhinoceros:MacPlugins:Grasshopper:Libraries:ArchiCAD 21:ArchiCADConnection
You can download the tool from here.
The downloaded installer will install two extensions at once: an ARCHICAD add-on and a Grasshopper plug-in. (These two will communicate creating the connection between the two design software.)
Before installation, make sure that the latest version of Rhinoceros (Version 5 SR11 64-bit) and ARCHICAD are both installed on your computer.
To launch the Setup Wizard of the Connection double-click on the downloaded .MSI file and go through the required steps as shown on the setup screens.
Grasshopper-ARCHICAD Live Connection can be uninstalled these two ways:
You can download the tool from here.
To achieve a connection between the ARCHICAD and Grasshopper applications, you must install a GRAPHISOFT extension: the Grasshopper – ARCHICAD Live Connection.
Before installing it, make sure that the latest version of Rhinoceros for MAC (Version 5 64-bit) and ARCHICAD (version 21 or 20) are both installed on your computer.
To launch the Setup Wizard of the Connection add-on, double-click on its .PKG file and go through the steps as shown on the setup screens.
On macOS, you can remove the Grasshopper-ARCHICAD Live Connection with deleting its files from the folders below:
- Go to Options > Add-On Manager.
- In the Add-On Manager's 'Available Add-ons' panel, double-click on Grasshopper-ARCHICAD Live Connection.
- In the 'Add-On Info' panel, check the version number.
- Go to Help Menu
- Click on "About".
- A green palette with a grasshopper appears. Click on the black icon in the palette's upper left corner to display the icons of the loaded extensions.
- Double-click the ARCHICAD icon to display the 'GHA Information' dialog box.
- Check the version number in the top right corner of the dialog box.
- With issues you need technical support for you can contact your local ARCHICAD reseller.
Updating to the latest version requires the same steps as the initial installation: double-click on the latest .MSI file, then follow the instructions in the Setup Wizard.
Important: Do not change the default file path that is provided. The updated version will automatically replace the older-version program: it is not necessary to uninstall the older version.
After updating to the latest version, it is recommended to double-check the version number shown in both ARCHICAD and Grasshopper, as described below, to ensure that the update was successful:
- Start the connection in ARCHICAD by clicking on the "Start" button on Grasshopper Palette. The palette is available from:
- Design > Design Extras > Grasshopper Connection
- Window > Palettes > Grasshopper Palette
- In Grasshopper use the command "Connect Document to ARCHICAD" under ARCHICAD Menu
Both ARCHICAD and Rhinoceros with Grasshopper extension have to be running simultaneously for the live connection.
Once these applications are running you need to
You can find more details of usage in the User Guide which is accessible in PDF format at the download site of the Connection.
©2017 GRAPHISOFT. All rights reserved.
ARCHICAD is a registered trademark of GRAPHISOFT.
Other product and company names are trademarks of the respective holders.
To learn more about ARCHICAD, visit http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/.